Let me be pessimistic: No matter what you do or want to do, there are 7 and a half billion ways in the world that you can fail and fail.
And I guarantee that thousands of these mistakes are possible:
- If you have a business, you can create something that no one needs and go bankrupt.
- If you try to bake cupcakes for your loved one, you might not guess what cupcakes he likes or they might fall apart.
- If you are going to write a book, you may never finish it and waste your time.
- If you want to start photographing people, they may not like the photographs. Very much.
- If you want to start a blog, you might be considered just another idiot on the internet.
- If you want to quit smoking, you may just run out of energy.
No matter what you do, you can make mistakes. Get it wrong and you will have wasted money, time and energy. Or maybe even more.
Well, is it scary?
...You should be. If only you have a little (or more) sense in your head.
Probably all creative people experience this - the fear that stops everything. Fear of making a mistake and achieving NOTHING. Similar to what Icarus felt from my art teacher's crush ancient stories about flying towards the sun.
If you're aiming for something, I'm guessing you'd like to accomplish your goals. Well, and at the same time - to guarantee that you will not throw away another attempt in vain.
(Read these words for at least another 15 minutes. To remember all your waiting, procrastination, and over-planning.)
Maybe you're waiting for the right moment.
...But that's what kills your chances of achieving anything.
Don't: A surefire way to go wrong.
One of my close friends wants to travel the world and earn money from it. She doesn't want to study a boring major in a boring college, she doesn't want to hang out with boring people there, and she doesn't want to spend her days in her small, boring town.
Indeed, I salute her:
She fulfills the first part of the wish quite successfully. She has been traveling to European countries and cities far away from Poland for a year now. And even today she talked dreamily about her upcoming trip to Paris.
But the second part? Well, the one where you get together and try to earn a euro or two from your hobby?
...Doesn't start. Afraid avoids Complaining and making excuses.
"Who cares about my travels," she says. "I haven't traveled much at all," he immediately adds. And it doesn't matter that she travels more than she could tell in half a day, or it doesn't matter that her travels are full of interesting and funny adventures, she still finds ways to make excuses.
She is afraid to make a mistake.
I don't know what exactly - I don't read minds after all - but it seems as if he's afraid like so many other people are afraid of their dreams. She is one of the many stalled procrastinators. 1
And she has two choices:
- Start and possibly achieve nothing…
- …Or not to start and guaranteed, one hundred percent guaranteed, to achieve nothing.
Or another way: she may succeed in the first way, but in the second - she will definitely not succeed. Guaranteed. What will she choose? Or more importantly... What will you choose?
So maybe today... A good opportunity?
- You can start a business - and learn something new. Find out what works and what really doesn't work... Or you can stop and continue torturing yourself with unfulfilled desires.
- You can try to bake cupcakes - and accidentally discover loved one's favorite taste… Or you may not even try, and He or She will not get the chance to experience your infinite love.
- You can start writing a book - and write it in one month. Just out of passion... Or you may never start, and your thoughts and feelings will remain unappreciated by the world. Maybe you are destined to be a famous writer?
- You may start photographing people and discover that photographing architecture is much more fun... Or you may not and you'll never find your life's greatest hobby.
- You can start a blog - and attract readers who will be waiting for more and more of your ideas… Or you may not start, and the world will not discover you.
- You can try to quit smoking - and discover that it is not so difficult… Or you may not start, because a constant cough and yellow teeth are already normal parts of your life.
Of course, you can come up with more dreams and fears.
I don't know what you're afraid of, but I know that at the end of it all it won't look as bad as it looks now.
The easiest way to go wrong and get nowhere is to get into the habit of not starting. After all, no step on your way to your goal will be as important as the first. For that check you stepped towards warmer or colder.
After all, you know that. Maybe you just pretend that everything will change from next Monday. Although then you will find even more excuses for procrastination.
So start. Still today.
And the task for you. Share in the comments below:
- What have you WANTED to do for a long time?
- And what will you do today before you go to sleep?
Well, then, of course, it's time to take a small, small step. Before your ideas die. And before you die.
You're going to do it for yourself, right?
Maybe similar to you?↩